Since tomorrow is Valentine’s day I decided to create a mixtape for an often overlooked bunch. This mix isn’t for the gooey lovers exchanging gifts, nor for the begrudged single people. This mix is for those separated from their special someone. Whether separated by distance or circumstance, being apart from the one you love is never easy. These songs may not make the pain go away but you can take comfort in the fact that someone, somewhere, knows how you feel.
1. Too Late Now – Roberta Gambarini
2. My Foolish Heart – Bill Evans
3. Little Girl Blue – Kate Davis
4. Where Are You? – Houston Person with Bill Charlap
5. Travelin’ Light – Shirley Horn
6. I’ll Be Seeing You – Brad Mehldau
7. Just Say The Word – Renée Yoxon & Mark Ferguson
8. Skylark / You Don’t Know What Love Is – Mark Murphy
9. Busy Being Blue – Peter Eldridge
You asked for it and now you’ve got it. I’m playing in Toronto! Very soon! On Tuesday, February 5th, I’ll be playing at Hugh’s Room as part of Jane Harbury presents Discoveries. I’ll be playing alongside three other emerging artists, The Schotts, Jessica Chase, and Tom Taylor. I know it’s going to be a wonderful evening of music and I’m really looking forward to seeing my Toronto friends and fans. Here are all the show details:
What: Jane Harbury presents Discoveries
Where: Hugh’s Room, 2261 Dundas Street W, Toronto, ON
When: Tuesday, February 5th, performance starts at 8:30pm
Tickets: $15 in advance/ $17 at the door (includes HST)
Reservations: Click to request a reservation or call 416 531 6604
I’m told Hugh’s Room has great food so please come for dinner and make a night of it.
See you then!
This mix is for those cloudy winter afternoons when you just don’t feel like leaving the house. Maybe you just want to sit around knitting and staring listlessly out the window. I understand you and I put this together for those day. It’s mellow, melancholy, and wistful.
1. Whiteout – Andrea Simms-Karp
2. White Keys – Chilly Gonzales
3. Secret Love – Nancy King & Glen Moore
4. Hearing Your Voice – Melissa Stylianou
5. Canyon – Megan Jerome
6. Sleep Away – Nicky Shrire
7. Gatekeeper – Feist
8. Lullaby For Ghosts – Musk Ox
9. Jolene – Susanna And The Magical Orchestra
New mixtape! If your New Year’s resolution was to cook more meals at home with your honey, then this is the mix for you. It’s full of latin jazz, funky grooves, and Brazilian rhythms and it features Antonio Carlos Jobim, Esperanza Spalding, and Elis Regina. The full playlist is below. Enjoy!
1. No More Blues – Roberta Gambarini
2. Señor Blues – Giacomo Gates
3. Love For Sale – Elizabeth Shepherd
4. Quien Sera (Sway) – Arielle Dombasle
5. Águas de Março – Antônio Carlos Jobim & Elis Regina
6. O Pato (The Duck) – Émilie-Claire Barlow
7. So Danço Samba (I Only Dance Samba) – Stan Getz/João Gilberto
8. Life On Mars? – Seu Jorge
9. I Know You Know – Esperanza Spalding
This week has been completely non-stop and go go go. I embraced that in my last mixtape: Taking Care of Business – a fast-paced mix for running errands in the car and being an all-around biz-lady bad-ass (or BLBA). This week, as the CD release approaches, I feel like I need to spend more time relaxing, unwinding, and preparing my mind and body for an incredible event. That’s why I made Winding Down to Sleep, a mix full of soft, sweet singers who will serenade me to sleep. This mix features Cécile Mclorin-Salvant, Barbra Lica, and Briana Cowlishaw, among others. Enjoy this week’s mix.
1. Two Sleepy People – Silje Nergaard
2. Moody’s Mood For Love – Cécile Mclorin-Salvant
3. P.S. I Love You – Barbra Lica
4. All of You – Mike Tremblay & Mark Ferguson
5. May I Come In? – Amy Cervini
6. A Fine Spring Morning – Blossom Dearie
7. Skylark – Briana Cowlishaw
8. Glad To Be Unhappy – Tierney Sutton
9. Some Other Time – Bill Evans
Song preview number two! Here is another youtube release of one of the tracks from Here We Go Again. This song is called Just As We Are and it’s about a young and naïve lover who wants her new romance to stay exactly the way it is forever. Just As We Are features Frank Lozano on tenor saxophone. I hope you enjoy it!
To get your hands on Here We Go Again, head over the NAC website and get your tickets to our release concert on December 7th. I can’t wait to release this CD!!
Click “Continue reading” to check out the lyrics to Just As We Are.
It’s not much but it’s a start.
Last month I purchased the VoiceLive Touch from TC Helicon. I spent a few week’s playing with it before including in my performance. You can check out my first performance with the VoiceLive Touch in the video above, which was shot by Craig Pedersen at the third birthday of Live Jazz Monday. So far I haven’t done any looping with it, I’ve only used it to make harmonies. In this video I have lined François’ keyboard in to the vocal processor with a midi cable. The VoiceLive Touch picked up the correct harmonies to my vocals based on what François is playing.
What do you think of my first kick at the can?? Let me know in the comments below.
It’s crunch time! Today I visit Merriam Print to pick up my postcard flyers and posters for the Here We Go Again CD release and I’ll be spending this morning running around Ottawa putting them up in local businesses. There’s less than four weeks to go until the release so I have a feeling I’m going to be to taking care of a lot of business between now and December 7th. That’s why this week’s mixtape has fast jazz, funk, and boogaloo featuring Horace Silver, Jamie Cullum, and Esperanza Spalding – perfect for a morning of running errands and taking care of business.
1. Finger Poppin’ – Horace Silver
2. Big Boogaloo – Eric Legnini Trio
3. I Get A Kick Out Of You – Jamie Cullum
4. I Can’t Help It – Esperanza Spalding
5. Prime Directive – Dave Holland
6. Obsessed – Maria Neckam
7. Blue Heaven – Dave Douglas
8. As Long As You’re Living – Cyrille Aimée
9. The Beat Goes On – Buddy Rich
I’m very excited to give you a peak into the album that Mark and I (and a whole bunch of other amazing people) have been diligently working on for awhile now. Above is a video containing So Far, the first track from Here We Go Again. Click on the video to listen. If you like it and are looking to buy tickets to my Ottawa CD release on December 7th at the NAC Fourth stage, click here and I’ll tell you how. If you live elsewhere and would like me to come and do a release concert in your town, leave a comment here or on the video.
Hello lovelies! I’ve been thinking about sharing music with my readers for a while now so I’d finally taken the plunge and signed up for an 8tracks account. I hope to share about one mixtape per week here on the blog. If you don’t already, follow this blog on your RSS reader.
This week I present to you – Red Hot Pajama Party – a healthy mix of vocalese by Eddie Jefferson with sultry blues by Karrin Allyson and funk/R&B/jazz crossover tunes thrown in there. It’s perfect for your next sexy pillow party. Just click and enjoy! Track list is below:
1. Zap! Carnivorous – Eddie Jefferson
2. Crazy Race – The RH Factor
3. Everybody’s Cryin’ Mercy – Karrin Allyson
4. Doodlin’ – The Manhattan Transfer
5. I Want a Little Sugar In My Bowl – Queen Latifah
6. I Got The Blues – Eddie Jefferson
7. Fat Mama – Herbie Hancock
8. Who Will the Next Fool Be? – Dee Dee Warwick
9. Can’t Hide Love – Carmen McRae